COMMONWEALTH SHAKESPEARE COMPANY MISSION STATEMENT
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company (CSC) is dedicated to artistic excellence, accessibility, and education. We present plays of the highest artistic caliber that celebrate ideas and language to create dialogue around compelling issues of our time. We eliminate barriers – physical, economic, and cultural – to bring live theater to audiences throughout Greater Boston. We cultivate in young artists the value of community engagement, and collaborate with educators to bring literature to life in the classroom.
Development Intern-Fall 2018
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company (CSC) is seeking a part-time fall Development Intern who will be an integral part of the development team, which consists of a full-time Director of Development, a full-time Manager of Annual Giving & Events, and a part-time Events Consultant. The Development Intern will provide administrative support to the CSC Development Office, located on the campus of Babson College in Wellesley, MA. This is a fast-paced work environment where you will play an important role in all aspects of fundraising for CSC’s 2018-2019 season.
This internship is an excellent learning opportunity for an undergraduate, graduate student, or early-career professional seeking to gain hands-on experience in the fields of development/fundraising and performing arts administration.
- Assist with the coordination of two fundraising appeal mailings in September and December
- Answering phones, taking messages, and responding to general email inquiries
- Help with the planning and staffing of development events related to CSC’s 2018-2019 season
- Researching grants, individual donors, and other funding opportunities
- Filing, data entry, and office organization
- Additional duties as needed
Dates of Internship
- August 20 – December 19, 2018 (start and end dates are flexible)
- 15-20 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends required for performances or special events
- Flexible on schedule and days of the week. We prefer our interns to come in generally between 10am-4pm, Monday through Friday.
- Professional attitude, with a strong attention to detail
- Must be an excellent listener and open to asking questions
- Must be able to work independently
- Dependable and trust-worthy with confidential donor information
- Excellent email and phone communication skills, with comfort interacting with VIP guests and donors
- Ability to be calm and focused under pressure
- Computer-savvy, with strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word and Excel)
- Background in theatre and/or arts administration is preferred, though not required
- Must be at least 18 years of age
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company is the Theatre-in-Residence at Babson College (Wellesley, MA). Applicants must provide their own means of transportation to Wellesley and the Boston Common.
- College credit, if available through your institution
- Complimentary tickets to CSC’s fall performances
While this internship is unpaid, it is an excellent learning opportunity for an undergraduate, graduate student, or early-career professional seeking to gain hands-on experience in the fields of development and arts administration.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Fall Development Intern” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through Friday, August 10, 2018. No phone calls please.
Featured Photo: Love's Labor's Lost, Shakespeare on the Common 2016-Photo by Andrew Brilliant