COMMONWEALTH SHAKESPEARE COMPANY MISSION STATEMENT
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company (CSC) is dedicated to artistic excellence, accessibility, and education. We present plays of the highest artistic caliber that celebrate ideas and language to create dialogue around compelling issues of our time. We eliminate barriers – physical, economic, and cultural – to bring live theater to audiences throughout Greater Boston. We cultivate in young artists the value of community engagement, and collaborate with educators to bring literature to life in the classroom.
Please find listed below the current available positions.
Production Manager and Associate Production Manager
Free Shakespeare on the Common 2020: The Tempest
Commonwealth Shakespeare Company (CSC) is currently seeking candidates for the positions of Production Manager and Associate Production Manager for its 2020 Free Shakespeare on the Common production of The Tempest, playing July 22 – August 9, 2020. As a two-person team, the Production Managers will be responsible for coordinating all the technical aspects of the production, including the creation and installation of CSC’s outdoor theater and compound on the Boston Common.
- Human Resources:
- Recruit and hire production staff and interns, including over hire for load-in/out.
- Approve and submit timesheets to Management for payment.
- Create and adhere to a comprehensive production calendar, including load-in/out, technical and design deadlines, production meetings and tech schedule.
- Coordinate with City of Boston Park Department on load-in/out, tech schedule and performance run while adhering to City of Boston and Parks regulations.
- Vendor Relations:
- Negotiate and contract vendors related to creation and instillation of CSC’s outdoor theater and backstage compound on Boston Common.
- Types of vendors include: fencing, generator supplies, portable restrooms, sound and lighting equipment, staging and rigging, dumpsters.
- With Managing Director, coordinate all permitting and licensing needs in order to comply with City of Boston inspections and regulations.
- Engage consultants to facilitate inspections (building and electrical).
- Maintain production budget as set forth by Managing Director.
- Ensure that designers adhere to design budgets and comply with CSC reimbursement policies.
- Perform all the typical responsibilities of production management including supervising all production/technical staff, detailed breakdown and coordination of load-in/out and tech rehearsals.
- Contract and oversee scene shop and costume shop.
- Supply a Production Management Book at the end of the season including copies of timesheets, contact sheet, schedules, invoices/receipts, permits, and any other back-up documentation.
Position Type and Hours Required: Freelance, Contract Positions (1099). Both positions are on a part-time, non-exclusive basis through early June, transitioning to full-time, first-priority basis once rehearsals begin June 23rd. These positions are local hires only. No housing or transportation will be provided.
- 3+ years of professional production management experience
- Highly organized with a keen attention to detail, and robust project management experience
- Expertise in stage management and/or technical theater required
- Direct experience hiring and supervising technical staff
- Experience working in outdoor theaters/venues highly desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to interact with a variety of constituents including administrative staff, designers, directors and City officials
Application Instructions: Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “SOTC Production Manager” in the title by December 6, 2019. No phone calls, please.
Featured Photo: Love's Labor's Lost, Shakespeare on the Common 2016-Photo by Andrew Brilliant